Estimating Grow Lighting Needs
September 18, 2018
Much of the information provided online or by manufacturers for calculating your lighting needs is based on watts. While energy use is an important consideration, it is an input, not an output.
Without any additional sunlight, you can estimate that:
• A 1000-watt lamp lights a 36- to 40-square-foot growing space.
• A 600-watt lamp lights a 20- to 36-square-foot growing space.
• A 400-watt lamp lights a 12- to 16-square-foot growing space.
• A 250-watt lamp lights a 6- to 9-square-foot growing space.
• A 150-watt lamp lights a 3-square-foot growing space.