614 Total Blog Posts
- MOON CARROT: I’m freaking out over this plant!
- New Plants: Keep your eyes out for these new silver beauties!
- Pilea peperomioides plugs have arrived!
- Worms on the Ferns!
- Stunning & Stylish Iceland Poppies
- Whiteflies in the Garden
- Time to Plant Clematis
- Fig Newton Trees
- Lots of Rain equals Lots of Pests!
- Basil: Plant and Grow Your Own Pesto!
- Passion Flower: Prized Garden Possession
- Get Ready for Hummingbirds in the Garden
- Pretty Peonies
- Fresh in White
- Give Your Trees Some TLC
- Mason Bees are Powerful Pollinators
- March: It’s tomato time in Texas
- When it Comes to Strawberries, Sometimes Bare is Better
- Killing Plants Like a Pro
- Killing Plants Like a Pro
- Fresh Asparagus Anyone?
- Time to Prune Fruit Trees in Texas
- Texas Sage: Who wore it best?
- Beyond the Poinsettia
- Milkweed Tiger Moth Caterpillars
- Smithsonian Gardens
- AAS launches herbaceous perennial trial
- Green Industry: Are You Helping or Hurting Your Marketing Efforts?
- Garden Look Nasty Post-Summer? Yep, Time to Refresh!
- Cascabela: A Tropical Texas Beauty!
- Plant Irises in Fall for Spring Blooms!
- Winning Summer Plant Duo
- Cocktail Gardening: Blackberry Mint Margarita
- Tomato Time: What to do with all your tomatoes?
- Veggie Garden: The Summer Solstice Harvest is ON!
- Fresh Blackberries: It’s PIE season!
- Nikki Blogs: Don’t feel bad, I kill things, too!
- “Hey, can you help me find a home for my rooster?” No, no I can’t and won’t.
- Garden Tour: What’s in bloom?
- White Flowers: Sophisticated and Serene
- Honey Bee Swarm
- Gardening No-No: Planting tulips in rows.
- Cocktail Gardening: First Day of Spring Spritzer
- Tulips are Blooming!
- Bulbine: This tough Aloe relative just loves to bloom!
- Houseplants: Purify the air for a healthy home!
- Let your melons go to seed…and see what you get!
- Chili Tepin is rockin’ it…
- It’s Decorative Gourd Time!
- Evergreen Wisteria
- Plant Nutrient Profile: Potassium
- Using Coffee Grounds in the Garden
- Plant Nutrient Profile: Phosphorus
- Plant Nutrient Profile: Nitrogen
- Lavender that thrives in North Texas
- Malabar Spinach: Heat tolerant leafy green
- Our Favorite Re-Seeders
- Video: Black Diamond Crapemyrtles
- Food Flub: Cross pollination can be terrifying!
- Cool Ideas for Spring Containers
- Great gifts for a gardening mom!
- Sunset Magazine Garden Photo Contest
- Crape Myrtle ‘Black Diamond’
- Everything Gardens - A Very Useful Permaculture Principle
- Why you should NOT be planting Impatiens this year…
- Garden Chat on Ken Druse’s Real Dirt Podcast
- Spring Blooms in the Garden
- Natural Mosquito Prevention INSTEAD of Spraying!
- Day Length Effects Egg Laying Rate
- Arugula in Bloom
- It’s Rose Time!
- Bulb blooms are early this year…
- It’s Tulip Time in Texas!
- Roly Poly Destruction! Or, what’s eating my pansies?
- Time to prune your roses in DFW!
- Fruit Trees for North Texas & Chilling Hours
- Holiday Gardening: Tips for using greenery
- The Prettiest Pansies
- Green Friday
- Black Friday? No thanks…I do “Green Friday”!
- Force bulbs indoors now for the holidays!
- Tiny Terrariums!
- Winter Gardening Tip: Force Your Bulbs Now!
- Garden Giveaway: Win a free in-depth garden consultation!
- Wordless Wednesday: Peony ‘Misaka’
- Want to tip toe through your own tulips?
- Want to grow fall and winter vegetables?
- October Fine Gardening
- Fancy Bulb Forcing
- Harvesting Mushrooms
- Trailing Rosemary Blooming Gangbusters!
- Time to plant: What can go into the garden right now?
- My Garden Bottle Tree
- Edible Dallas & Fort Worth: The Cookbook!
- Chihuly at The Dallas Arboretum
- Love me some Cardoon!
- Big Bend Grasshopper
- Time to Plant Iceland Poppies!
- Big Bend Journey
- I know it’s 106 F degrees…but I’m still planting.
- Time to start planning your fall garden!
- Agave Takes the Heat!
- Harvest in 100 degrees!
- Monsanto genetics “trespassing” onto organic farms.
- Rico Suave: Yes, my favorite Silkie is a BOY.
- Almost time to harvest my ‘Faerie’ melons!
- Reblooming Iris ‘Smell the Roses’
- Summer watering tips & Time to plant fall tomatoes!
- Rose Rosette Disease
- Dallas Observer: Dallas People 2012, The Chicken Quixote
- Time to plant fall tomatoes!
- Tomatoes not setting fruit, or ripening?
- Welcome to the New Website & Blog!
- Mulching, Mulching, Mulching!
- Dallas Backyard Chicken Sale, 6/16/12
- Harvesting ‘Golden Mama’ Tomatoes
- Blue Agave as Living Fences in Ecuador
- Chinese Garden in Portland, Oregon.
- Have you harvested your garlic?
- Time to harvest Blackberries!
- Urban Backyard Beekeeping
- Backyard Bees!
- Wordless Wednesday: Farmer’s Market in Banos, Ecuador
- Whirling Butterflies…
- Start Your Fall Tomato Seeds!
- Saving Arugula and Dill Seeds…
- Fragrant Echinacea
- Backyard Chicken Sale
- Diorama-O-Rama: Leslie of the Amazon!
- New Dallas Watering Restrictions
- Strawberry ‘Fragoo’ Series
- Passiflora incarnata, Maypop!
- ‘Changsha’ Tangerine in Texas
- New Baby Silkie Update…
- Easter Gardening Radio Chat…Rabbits, Seeds and more!
- In Dallas? Get those tomatoes in the ground!
- Growing Vegetables in Containers…
- A few of my spring bloomers…
- Gardening Tool Envy…
- Ready for Roses?
- Baby Silkie Update…
- Baby Silkie Update…
- Ready…set…plant tomatoes!
- Chicken Drama…Hawk attacks and abandoned silkies…
- RIP Phyllis…you rocked.
- All the grass is gone…
- Spring Fever…new beds and seed potatoes!
- December in Texas…what to plant now.
- Live in Texas? Plant in Fall and Winter…reap the benefits next Summer.
- Camellia ‘Setsugekka’
- New City of Dallas Watering Restrictions. No need to panic.
- Obama’s Christmas Tree “Tax”. Come on people.
- Get that pesto made!
- The Perfect Planting Weather
- Stop gardening for summer in Texas…I’m over it!
- Looking for a heat and drought tolerant perennial?
- Woolly Pockets planted up!
- Vertical Garden Planters
- Pansies and violas are here!
- Off to True Value in PA…
- Rain Lillies Blooming!
- Ugly Garden Contest Winner!
- FINALLY, the new baby chicks have moved outside…
- Fall is here! Time to plant…
- Ugly Garden Contest, Dallas!!
- Fall is for Planting!
- Off to Ecuador!
- Proper watering in this Texas heat!
- Baby chicks first visit outside…
- Honey extraction…first year
- Off to harvest backyard honey…
- Tough Summer Bloomers: Cone Flowers
- Build it…and they will come…
- Tough Summer Bloomers: Pride of Barbados
- Tomato ‘Sapho’...still harvesting!
- Cute baby chicks…My July 4th babies
- OFA- Ohio Short Course
- Last Weekend to Plant Tomatoes in DFW
- Surprise!! I’m a new mom again!
- Update on the Beehives…
- Rose ‘Easy Does It’
- Time to plant fall harvest tomatoes…
- I can’t help but be sad when I lose a chicken…
- Dallas…Do you have an UGLY garden?!
- Dramatic Pepper
- Trouble with Tomato Fruit Set this Spring?
- New Echinacea in bloom…
- First hummingbird sighting…
- Plant the Town Pink Event! 6/4/11
- Backyard Chickens 101 Class 5/20
- Heirloom Vegetable Class 5/21
- Inspecting a beehive…
- Meet the chicks…finally named them…
- The Beehives move home…
- Inspecting my beehives…
- Tough Texas Perennials
- Baby Chicks…week 3 video
- Baby Chicks…week 2-3
- Baby Chicks…week 1
- First fruits of the spring…
- North Haven Gardens spot on Dig In TV
- Streetside spring blooms…
- Planting Fruitopia…
- Containers with black petunias…
- Beehive project continued…
- Bill S.510 Food Safety Act is BAD.
- Armchair Urban Farming…
- Almost Tulip Planting Time…
- DFW, today is our first average frost date!
- Let the new garden begin…
- Time to plant fruit trees…and berries!
- Salvia ‘Wendy’s Wish’
- Chicken Portraits…Oh you KNOW I’m doing this!! LOL
- Seed some lettuce now folks!
- Backyard Chickens 101
- Live in Texas? Time to plant some bulbs!
- New ‘Plentifall’ trailing pansies..Oooooo, aaaahhhhh!
- Time for Tulips!
- Time to plant Iceland Poppies!
- Herbalist Guild Symposium
- Chicken Sale and Fall Programs at North Haven Gardens
- New Asian Jasmine ‘Snow-N-Summer’
- Now is the time to plant cool season vegetables
- Yay for homegrown fresh eggs!
- Upcoming Class: Vegetable Gardening 101 at North Haven Gardens
- Iris mystery solved!
- Garlic Chives…edible ornamental that takes the heat!
- Off to IGC in Chicago…Then TNLA in San Antonio…
- Echinacea ‘Mac N’ Cheese’
- Dismantling the Vegetable Garden…Sniff, Sniff…
- Fabulous new Echinacea
- Almost time to start fall vegetable seeds…
- Pistils Nursery, Portland OR
- Bodacious petunias! Bauman Farms, Portland OR
- New compact tomato varieties
- Funky new African Violet…‘Neverfloris’
- Chinese Garden, Portland, Oregon
- Many people using bat houses to fight against mosquitos | WCBD
- Next Class: Vegetable Gardening 101
- Plant Fall Tomato Transplants Now…
- Time to harvest garlic!
- Poor Einstein…she’s been henpecked, literaly…
- Phyllis has gone broody…
- Purty Peaches…
- The Succulent Project, Stage 2
- Organic Gardening and Farming Magazine
- Rough Earth Snakes in the Garden
- How do you like your ‘Sapho’ tomatoes?
- Oakleaf Hydrangea blooming away…
- Still harvesting lettuce…
- The first Nasturtium blooms…
- Is it strawberry time or what?!
- Bacykard Chicken Programs at NHG This Weekend
- Proper Watering Techniques Q & A
- First blooms on the Clematis ‘Ramona’
- Rose ‘Crown Princess Margareta’
- The roses are going nuts!
- Aren’t flowers fantastic? Blue Spiderwort in the shade garden…
- Ajuga ‘Catlin’s Giant’
- Fava Beans
- Iris ‘Orange Glaze’
- Naked Gardening Day, 2010
- Square Foot Gardening Soil Mix…Do I think it works for Texas?
- Earth Day Program: Bountiful Backyard Gardens
- More Eggs!!!
- Backyard Chicken Keeping Program, Saturday, Dallas
- First roses of the season and other blooming beauties…
- Japanese Maple ‘Oshi Beni’ seedlings…
- Chihuahua meets chicken…lol
- Backyard chickens, Dallas
- What to plant right now!
- Tomato ‘Sapho’
- From spring, to snow, and back again…
- Amaryllis ‘Chico’
- Mmmm, deviled eggs…
- Urban Chicken Article, Edible Dallas
- Frogs, Foam and Fuel: UC Researchers Convert Solar Energy to Sugars
- ‘Sapho’ Tomatoes
- Just a few shots from a lovely spring day in the garden…
- Vegetable Gardening 101 Class
- First poppy of the season…
- The cool thing about Calendula seeds…
- Peaches are blooming!
- Edible Dallas article on urban chickens
- Mason Bees
- Texas All Garden Show
- ‘Easy Does it’ 2010 AARS Rose…I’m drooling…
- So you wanted to know which tomato variety this was??
- What wood is best to use for raised beds?
- Homemade Ginger Ale…mmmmmm
- Happy Snow Day from Dallas!
- First signs of spring…now signs of winter…
- Signs of Spring…
- Broccoli Buds…
- Cool Season Herbs to Plant Now
- My Upcoming Gardening Classes
- Iceland Poppies!
- Rediscovering Barley
- The January thaw…what to plant!
- I’m on day 3 of my L.E.A.P diet…
- Lost Hen in Dallas!
- Time to start vegetable seeds indoors!
- Planting bulbs in turf grass
- Come to my Veggie Gardening class, Thursday 1/14
- Time to plant onions in Texas!
- It’s a five egg day!
- My poor chickens…it’s so cold!
- Upcoming hard freeze…what to do?
- My Favorite Tulips and how to plant them…
- Time to plant your tulips!
- More photos from the Amazon, Peru
- Back from the Amazon, Peru…
- Too much lettuce?
- I’m off to Peru folks…
- Question #2: What is the best raised bed soil mix?
- Question #1 of the day: My veggies aren’t ripening on time!
- Question of the day: Is my lettuce safe in this winter weather?
- The great vegetable giveaway…
- Who is laying which eggs?
- Bees on the Passion Vine
- So I can’t eat tomatoes anymore…Kill me now!
- A morning bouquet of roses…
- Einstein is a Houdan…not a Polish…a chicken surprise…
- ‘Four Seasons’ Viola…My new fave…
- Go ahead….feed that orchid addiction…
- Chicken Pox…my poor babies…
- What to plant right now…
- Chasing Butterflies…
- Strawberry Pots…protect for winter
- Ode to Rhino Beetle…
- Fall Tomatoes…
- Don’t forget…Botany of Desire on PBS tonight!
- Time to make pepper relish…
- It’s a Pesto Party!
- Going to Peru…
- New Magazine: Urban Farm
- Morning coffee malfunction…
- Fresh Peppers = Skillet stuffed peppers for dinner…
- Time to Plant: Garlic
- Wet Chicken: Have you ever seen anything sadder?
- Fall harvest of beautiful beans…
- Passion flower - Passiflora violacea
- Chickens are starting to earn their keep…
- What to plant this weekend…
- Dallas Orchid Show this Weekend…don’t miss!
- Chickens in the news…again…
- Michael Pollan’s Botany of Desire on PBS
- Harvesting fall vegetables
- Off to Salt Lake City for True Value
- Organic chicken feed
- It’s Midnight…and you’re still at work…
- Praying Mantis
- Time to Plant: Broccoli, lettuce, fava bean seeds
- “Think” KERA podcast show on chickens
- Garden Center Magazine Sustainable Living Article
- I’ll be on “Think” on KERA 90.1 tomorrow, Tuesday at 1pm
- Chickens are laying…more new eggs!
- Wordless Wednesday: Can’t talk, eating weeds.
- Time to Plant: Bulbs!
- Malabar Spinach
- Baby bean plants…
- Rain lilies blooming…
- First Eggs!! Look what little Einstein did!
- Chicken window…
- Chicago…Independent Garden Show (IGC)
- Garden & Gun…
- Time to Plant…Naked Ladies
- Time to Plant…fall seeds
- Backyard Chicken Sales at North Haven Gardens are back on!
- Aggie Cotton in bloom…
- Butterfly Ginger is blooming…
- Hummingbirds at the door…
- House Bill HR 2749 - the Food Safety Enhancement Act of 2009
- Fall Veggie Garden Class, NHG today, 1pm
- August Garden Lovelies…
- Black Bumblebee…
- Hummingbird sightings!
- When you forget to harvest your okra…
- Tomato hornworm….that’s some meaty larvae…
- Carolyn…my cucumbers and melons cross pollinated…so, cumelons or melumbers?
- Starting the fall veggie seeds…
- Chicken bribery…mealworms.
- Mad City Chickens Premiere, Dallas…
- Time to start fall vegetable seeds…
- Julie, Julie, oh where art thou Julie? AWOL
- Welcome to growLively
- Fall Veggie Gardening Class at NHG August 12th
- A bright spot in the August garden…Philippine Lily
- Viva la Chickens!
- OFA - Ohio Short Course
- Einstein…chicken baby is growing up…
- Cucumber Cornucopia
- Nursery Pot Recycling Program at NHG
- Summer Veggie Harvest…
- Mad City Chickens…Texas premiere!
- Nikki’s Tomatoes: Round 2
- Urban Chickens…see, I’m not the only crazy one…lol
- Why your tomatoes arent producing fruit, or aren’t ripening…
- Green Dallas…should mean more than it does…
- Veggies that don’t fry in 103 degree heat…
- Dallas Climate….why your tomatoes won’t fruit in summer…
- New Chickens…
- Hmmmm, something smells fowl…
- The Fabulous Finished Chicken Coop…
- New Chicken Coop Under Construction…
- Summer Garden Blooms…
- Goodbye Scooter…
- The Strawberries Speak for Themselves…
- Chickens in the garden…strike a pose…
- Nikki Found the Camera
- Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhh!!!! :)
- I’m going to sail my zucchini boat away….
- Chicken Noodle Fun…
- Nikki Teases You with Talk of Potatoes
- Gratuitous garden photos…
- Lovely dinner salad…
- Squash and wine…that’s it…
- Summer vegetables…sweet spot
- Fyi..JULIE is the chicken lady…
- Some tips on pruning…“confused”
- Question of the day: Did I kill my cucumbers with kindness?
- Garden Tour May 2009…
- Yard of the Month…this one’s for you Julie…
- Garden Tour…
- All Growns Up
- Novels starring gardens
- Yes, more chicken pictures…
- Here comes trouble
- Resurrection…Julie’s Sorrel…(not spinach)
- Garden Defenders…
- Backyard Progress…
- I swear…chickens are hip…
- Crazy chickens…
- April blooms…
- Potato Bag Update…
- New Bed Update…
- No one said chickens were rocket scientists…
- Earth Day Veggie Garden Goings On…
- Help me name my new chicky babies…
- Chicken Escape…and the Destruction that Ensued.
- My Penchant for Peach…
- Peony popping up…
- Rose Petals…
- New York Times Starter Garden Series…
- Lovely Japanese Maple…
- Backyard Bed Continued…
- New Backyard Bed…
- Spring Blooms
- Chicken Run…
- Spanish Bluebells
- The Chickens are Here!
- Millions of Peaches, Peaches for Me…
- Rolling in Fava Beans…
- I Love Plant-Geek Gifts!
- Front Yard Veggie Beds…
- The Food Safety Modernization Act of 2009
- Yay for snakes!
- Tomato ‘Golden Mama’
- Pretty as a peach…
- Patio update…for Caro
- Fantastic Mustard Green…
- Prime Real Estate…
- Ginkgos for your ears…nothing to do with gardening…
- Yay! Hummingbird sighting!
- Ya love it or ya hate it…
- I crack myself up…
- Pickling Habaneros…Wear Gloves
- Gotta make some pesto…
- Super squash
- Tasty Tomatoes…
- Shameless plug…
- My Lady Friends…
- Horseradish Hot Head…
- It’s almost summer…
- How dare they
- Veggie update
- Chaos in the garden…
- Ah, the scent of spring…
- Bye Bye Bulbs…
- Trip to Antique Rose Emporium
- Spring Color
- Yay Spring…